We offer sets 5 and 6 of our Simple Animal Learning Cards today. We will be making more in the future but we thought that these would give us all a good start. We also thought that we would share with you some ideas on how you could use these resources in your family:
- Use these cards as an addition to an animal unit study.
- Use these cards as an addition to science unit study .
- Fill out a card when a picture book or novel you are reading mentions the animal as a character in it such as in Thornton Burgess stories, Beatrix Potter Stories, Parables From Nature by Mrs. Gatty, Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling, works by by Lewis Carroll and so one. We intend to create lots more cards so that children can begin a good collection of these cards.
- Take these sheets with you on your next nature walk, field trip to the nature sanctuary, or zoo trip. Fill them out on the spot and then bring them home to cut apart and finish off.
- Fill these out as the animals are mentioned in video series like Planet Earth, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Jeff Corbin, The Magic School Bus and more.
- Use selected animals in your world Geography studies. We have tried to include all of the continents.
- Use completed cards for sick day learning review - once laminated they can stay germ free. You can even wipe them down or even apply antibacterial wash to them.
- Play trivia quest with them. Over a bowl of popcorn or trail mix, we play a review trivia style game. Assign players to numbers on a die. Player roles die and asks whoever assigned to the displayed number a question about something on a Learning Card. We decide before we start who will choose the categories. So much fun. This is good for in front of the fireplace winter play or outside in the yard under a shady tree summer play.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. I'm sure there will be others you will find. Feel free to share some of your own uses in the comment section as I will try to keep a running list and eventually post it on the Learning Cards web page.
Today's resource sets include the following animals:
Set 5 - Hummingbird, Snowy Owl, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Yellow Jacket, Honey Bee, Fly, Green Hornet, Gila Monster, Roman Snail
Set 6 - Polar Bear, Pacific Walrus, Wasp, Gypsy Moth Caterpillar, Octopus, Caribbean Reef Squid, Desert Tarantula, Black Widow Spider, Rabbit, Bottlenose Dolphin
Click Here to download Simple Animal Learning Cards set 5
Click Here to download Simple Animal Learning Cards set 6
Visit us tomorrow to collect some of the Classification Animal Learning Card sets.
That Resource Team